Ninth Annual Terra Sans PaveTrail Runs
Trail Running Bliss!
Our ninth annual Terra Sans Pave trail runs was held Saturday August 27th, at Linne Woods in Morton Grove, IL. While the popular bisceting paved trail gets heavy daily usage, far fewer visitors venture the varying mix of unpaved paths that make up our racecourse... "a gem of an urban trail system." Racer attendance was up by 22% over last year's excessive-heat race day. With temperatures topping out at 80°F finishing times/distances were faster-on-average too. Clear skies and a fast racecourse with just-a-few puddles per lap made for a ideal racing conditions. Official statistics for our 2022 Terra Sans Pave Trail Runs...
|Race Registration Statistics|
|Event:||Registered||Started||Finished|| || |
|4 Kilometer:||10||10||10|| || |
|8 Kilometer:||17||16||16|| || |
|Big Lizard 10 Mile:||32||27||26|| || |
|Terathlon 8 Hour:||40||39||39|| |
|Volunteers:||2|| || || |
|Race Totals:||101||92||91|| || |
Terathlon 8-Hour runners began repeating laps of the 2½-mile racecourse. Their mission... cover as much distance as possible in the span of eight hours. They could orbit our 2½-mile "Big Loop," then as the clock ticked past seven hours switch to our quarter-mile "Little Loop," and continue right up to the 8-hour air-horn signal. Meanwhile traditional-distance runners arrived for check-in and their race start.
Michelle blasted the air-horn, signalling the start of event distances, Big Lizard 10-Mile, Terra 8-Km, and Terra 4-Km. At once the entire racecourse was populated with Terra Sans Pave runners... a long winding line of distance-running trail lizards!
Terathletes pursued evermore mileage as traditional distance events were finishing. Michelle returned from a second more-bags-of-ice trip along with Minelli's Deli sandwiches, which were the perfect compliment to our aid station fare. Year-specific pins were earned by all finishers and medals of gold, silver, and bronze were awarded to top runners. Engraved pint-glasses were won by 3-runner "Team Achievers" in traditional distance events.
The end-of-race air-horn signal was given and those Terathletes circling our Little Loop stopped in their tracks (um, some collapsing to the grass). We wheeled-off each Terathlete's extra little-lap distance, which was added to their Little Loop count (multiplied-by ¼), which was added to their Big Loop count (multiplied-by 2½), and calculated distance covered for each Terathlon 8-Hour runner. Year-specific pins were earned by all finishers. Newly minted "Ultra Achiever" heavy medals were earned by all 8-Hour Terathletes who covered more than 26.2 miles; engraved "Ultra Achiever" pint glasses were earned by those who didn't cover 26.2 miles but were still running at the 8-Hour air horn; medals and engraved pint-glasses for age group Podium Achievers; engraved pint-glasses were won by 2-runner Team Achievers.
Terra Sans Pave 4-Km...
1st) Winston Conwell
2nd) Elsie Conwell
3rd) Adrian Janczyk
1st) Beth Kruger
1st) Piotr Janczyk
Terra Sans Pave 8-Km...
1st) Nana Rodriguez
2nd) Dawn Steele
1st) Andy Becker
2nd) Garth Carlson
Terra Sans Pave Big Lizard 10-Mile...
1st) Janelle Silva
2nd) Donna Carlson
3rd) Morgan Steele
1st) Kip Conwell
2nd) Karl Flener
3rd) Andrew Masciopinto
1st) Tri-umph - Tracey Roberts, Kate Schnatterbeck, Abbe Burke
2nd) Proof Positive - Tom Kohler, Adam Zamora, Patti Downey
Terra Sans Pave Terathlon 8-Hour...
1st) Rachel Burke: 52.028 miles * New Female Race Record!
2nd) Lisa Kohoutek: 40.5 miles
3rd) Jeni Goodwin: 40.205 miles
1st) Todd Gunter: 53.946 miles * New Race Record!
2nd) Brian Sheridan: 46.316 miles
3rd) Justin Heller: 44 miles
3rd) Jeffrey Fleitz: 44 miles
Top Terathlon 8-Hour Teams:
1st) Dick Pond 1 - Rachel Burke, Brian Sheridan: 98.343 miles * New Team Record!
2nd) Team Sloth - Rachel Weyers, Jen DeSalvo: 68.709 miles
3rd) Team Richey - Amanda Richey, Steve Richey: 57.75 miles
4th) Pizza Delivery - Alycia Slyck, Traci Lambert-Cwerenz: 56.746 miles
Race conception, production, hosting, timing, webcasting and finish-line scoring was managed by our running-company, RunRace. Check out complete Terra Sans Pave event results, including top Terra teams through the links...
Results: Official Results on RunRace
Webcast: Official Webcast on RunRace (with Checkpoint Splits where available)
Let's give a rousing "shout out" to our race volunteers for their generous support of our shared trail-running community:
- Pre-race runner check-in: Michael Glennon, Ian Stevens, Boris Tannenbaum.
- Start / Finish line set up: Boris Tannenbaum, Bill Thom.
- Official Race Starter: Michelle Thom.
- Aid station captains: Michelle, Regina Burke, Boris Tannenbaum (after racing 10 miles!).
- Dry-erase-board tally-master: Michelle.
- Supplies replenishers: Michelle, Cathy Krawitz, Bill Fitzgerald (more water, please!).
- Red Delicious apples: Michael Glennon.
- Pavilion Music Trivia Host: Mike Cwerenz.
- Brewmasters of Apricot Wheat & Caution Lemonade: Tom Kohler, Adam Zamora.
- Racecourse concept / design / set up / marking: Bill.
- Racecourse clean up / flag removal: Tom Burke.
- Photography: Michelle + Bill, with conributions from the running family of Chloe Jensen + Kip Conwell.[Did I miss anyone here?... if you notice a missing or misspelled name please let me know.]
Ninth Annual Terra Notables...
* Determined to cover 50 miles for the day Brian Sheridan finished as 3rd overall Terathlete, tallying 46.31 miles, then ran four miles of `cool down` to hit his new personal best one-day distance.
* Three Terra stand-out veterans earned their 7th-Year finishers' pin: Patti Downey, Linda Leyden, and Tom Kohler.
* Five Terra veterans earned their 6th-Year finishers' pin: Cathy Krawitz, Kate Schnatterbeck, Jeni Goodwin, Kristine Yoon, and Boris Tannenbaum.
* Top Ten leaders of Terra Sans Pave all-time accumulated mileage: Jeffrey Fleitz 223.288, Jeni Goodwin 212.362, Kristine Yoon 168.498, Jennifer DeSalvo 146.251, Boris Tannenbaum 142.623, Rachel Weyers 135.548, Brian Sheridan 130.018, Traci Lambert-Cwerenz 112.985, Peter Mejorada 101.250, Edward Peck 101.
Congratulations to all who participated in our Ninth Annual Terra Sans Pave Trail Runs!
Our photo album has been optimized for web-display... if you'd like a "high-resolution" original (suitable for printing) contact me and I will email you with the original digital image... be sure to specify which photo(s) you'd like.
Happy trails to all lizards and running humans this fall and beyond!
Links & Recaps as Generously Provided by Participants of
Terra Sans Pave!
[Have a link to your related blog or photo gallery?... if so please send your link and I'll include here.]