Tenth Annual Terra Sans PaveTrail Runs
Trail Running Bliss!
Our tenth annual Terra Sans Pave trail runs was held Saturday August 26th, at Linne Woods in Morton Grove, IL. While the popular bisecting paved trail gets heavy daily usage, far fewer visitors venture the varying mix of unpaved paths that make up our racecourse... "a gem of an urban trail system." Compared with last year, racer attendance was up by two runners for Terathlon 8-Hour, but down by 35% for fixed event distances. With temperatures topping out at 74°F, finishing times/distances were faster-than-average. Clear skies and a fast racecourse, with no puddles made for a ideal racing conditions. Official statistics for 2023 Terra Sans Pave Trail Runs...
|Race Registration Statistics|
|Event:||Registered||Started||Finished|| || |
|4 Kilometer:||7||4||4|| || |
|8 Kilometer:||14||13||12|| || |
|Big Lizard 10 Mile:||22||17||16|| || |
|Terathlon 8 Hour:||43||41||41|| |
|Volunteers:||3|| || || |
|Race Totals:||86||75||73|| || |
Official Starter Ian Stevens sounded the air horn. Terathlon 8-Hour runners began repeating laps of the 2½-mile racecourse. Their mission... cover as much distance as possible in the span of eight hours. They could orbit our 2½-mile "Big Loop," then as the clock ticked past seven hours switch to our quarter-mile "Little Loop," and continue right up to the 8-hour air-horn signal. Meanwhile traditional-distance runners arrived for check-in and their race start.
Michelle blasted the air-horn, signalling the start of event distances, Big Lizard 10-Mile, Terra 8-Km, and Terra 4-Km. At once the entire racecourse was populated with Terra Sans Pave runners... a long winding line of distance-running trail lizards!
Terathletes pursued evermore mileage as traditional distance events were finishing. Michelle returned from a second more-bags-of-ice trip along with Minelli's Deli sandwiches, which were the perfect compliment to our aid station fare. Year-specific pins were earned by all finishers and medals of gold, silver, and bronze were awarded to top runners. Engraved pint-glasses were won by 3-runner "Team Achievers" in traditional distance events.
The end-of-race air-horn signal was given and those Terathletes circling our Little Loop stopped in their tracks (um, some collapsing to the grass). We wheeled-off each Terathlete's extra little-lap distance, which was added to their Little Loop count (multiplied-by ¼), which was added to their Big Loop count (multiplied-by 2½), and calculated distance covered for each Terathlon 8-Hour runner. Year-specific pins were earned by all finishers. Newly minted "Ultra Achiever" heavy medals were earned by all 8-Hour Terathletes who covered more than 26.2 miles; engraved "Ultra Achiever" pint glasses were earned by those who didn't cover 26.2 miles but were still running at the 8-Hour air horn; medals and engraved pint-glasses for age group Podium Achievers; engraved pint-glasses were won by 2-runner Team Achievers.
Terra Sans Pave 4-Km...
1st) Karen Kreiner
2nd) Anne McAlpine
Terra Sans Pave 8-Km...
1st) Dawn Steele
2nd) Zinzi Steele
1st) Doug Berg
2nd) Paul Angarone
Terra Sans Pave Big Lizard 10-Mile...
1st) Becky Patch
2nd) Amanda Richey
3rd) Jackie Cichon
1st) Peter Mejorada
2nd) Andrew Masciopinto
3rd) Dave Hoover
Terra Sans Pave Terathlon 8-Hour...
1st) Rachel Burke: 49.975 miles * Defending Female Champion, and Female Distance Race Record Holder!
2nd) Krista DelRisco: 41.444 miles
3rd) Jeni Goodwin: 36.799 miles
1st) Dan Meinhart: 47.0 miles
2nd) Matt Luff: 46.492 miles
3rd) Mariusz Ligeska: 46.108 miles
Top Terathlon 8-Hour Teams:
1st) Team DNA - Mark Bowman, Amy Suffecool: 77.25 miles
2nd) Paws Forever - Michael Glennon, Juli Aistars: 69.5 miles
3rd) I Don't Know - Richard Pye, Kurt Spurgeon: 62.64 miles
4th) Team No Filter - Traci Lambert-Cwerenz, Kristine Yoon: 57.0 miles
Race conception, production, hosting, timing, webcasting and finish-line scoring managed by our running-company, RunRace. Check out complete Terra Sans Pave event results, including top Terra teams through the links...
Results: Official Results on RunRace
Webcast: Official Webcast on RunRace (with Checkpoint Splits where available)
Let's give a rousing "shout out" to our race volunteers for their generous support of our shared trail-running community:
- Pre-race runner check-in: Ian Stevens, Michael Glennon.
- Start / Finish line set up: Michael Glennon, Tom Burke, Bill Thom.
- Official Race Starters: Ian Stevens, Michelle Thom.
- Aid station captains: Regina Burke, Tom Burke, Michelle.
- Dry-erase-board tally-master: Michelle, Regina.
- Supplies replenishers: Michelle.
- Red Delicious apples: Michael Glennon.
- Pavilion Music Trivia Host: Mike Cwerenz.
- Brewmasters of Lemon Shandy small-batch beer: Tom Kohler, Adam Zamora.
- Racecourse concept / design / set up / marking: Bill.
- Racecourse clean up / flag removal: Tom Burke, and Rachel Weyers (collecting plates while running her last Big Loop!).
- Photography: Michelle + Bill.[Did I miss anyone here?... if you notice a missing or misspelled name please let me know.]
Tenth Annual Terra Notables...
* Three Terra stand-out veterans earned their 8th-Year finishers' pin: Patti Downey, Linda Leyden, and Tom Kohler.
* Four Terra veterans earned their 7th-Year finishers' pin: Cathy Krawitz, Jeni Goodwin, Kristine Yoon, and Boris Tannenbaum.
* Top Ten leaders of Terra Sans Pave all-time accumulated mileage: Jeni Goodwin 249.161, Jeffrey Fleitz 223.288, Kristine Yoon 196.998, Brian Sheridan 175.768, Rachel Weyers 171.825, Boris Tannenbaum 170.123, Rachel Burke 148.195, Traci Lambert-Cwerenz 141.485, Edward Peck 135.50, Juli Aistars 111.493.
Congratulations to all who participated in our Tenth Annual Terra Sans Pave Trail Runs!
Our photo album has been optimized for web-display... if you'd like a "high-resolution" original (suitable for printing) contact me and I will email you with the original digital image... be sure to specify which photo(s) you'd like.
Happy trails to all lizards and running humans this fall and beyond!
Links & Recaps as Generously Provided by Participants of
Terra Sans Pave!
[Have a link to your related blog or photo gallery?... if so please send your link and I'll include here.]